A great make-ahead lunch.
Tricolor or red quinoa works best in salads because it maintains a slight crunch after dressed. White quinoa can easily turn to mush when combined with dressing.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Juice and zest from 3 tangerines
- Pinch of salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well.
- 3 cups cooked tricolor quinoa (Note: slightly undercook quinoa, the acid from the dressing will cook quinoa once combined)
- ¼ cup raw carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup Swiss chard, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup tangerine, roughly diced
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
Shake dressing before using. Combine freshly made dressing with warm quinoa, let set for at minimum 10 minutes. Avoid over stirring, as this can alter the texture of the grain. Layer the remaining ingredients on top of the quinoa. Carrot, chard, tangerine, parsley, lastly walnuts. It is best to allow the flavors to set overnight in the fridge before stirring. If making day of, allow about an hour for the salad to set.
Copyright 2012, S. Lippard Original Recipe