Remember when condiments were your favorite and the crispy food you dipped in them just an afterthought? Bring back the simpler times with these crispy tempeh sticks that perfectly deliver those sweet, savory, or spicy sauces to your mouth!
Tempeh is a fermented soy product–an improved tofu that’s rich in protein and easily assumes whatever flavor with which it’s cooked. It also crisps up similarly to fries or nuggets, making this mystery “meat” a yummy, but nutritious condiment transport food.
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Teaspoons vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Teaspoon honey
- 1 Teaspoon ginger
- 1-12oz Package tempeh
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine oil, vinegar, tamari, honey, and ginger in a large bowl and stir well.
- Slice tempeh, add to marinade, and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Place marinated tempeh slices in a glass baking dish spaced evenly and bake for 10 minutes.
- Then, flip them and bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve warm with spicy ketchup (ketchup+hot sauce).
Original recipe, S. Lippard copyright 2015