This grilled salad is the perfect combination of fresh veggies and filling legumes. With almost no prep time it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser at your next BBQ outing!
Serves: 4 sides or 2 large portions
Prep time: 30 minutes
Note: If opting for fresh chickpeas rather than canned you’ll want to prepare them ahead of time.
- ½ Teaspoon dried dill or 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 Teaspoon chopped garlic
- ½ Teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ Cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Cups cooked, peeled chickpeas or 15 ounces canned (rinsed and peeled)
- 1 Head grilled romaine lettuce, wedged or chopped (find grilling recipe here)
- ½ Cup cherry tomatoes, grilled or fresh per preference
- ½ Cup diced avocado
Combine dill, red pepper flakes, garlic, maple syrup, salt, oil, and vinegar in a jar and shake until well blended. Toss chickpeas with dressing in a medium bowl. When cooking your own chickpeas it’s best to dress them soon after peeling–while still warm–but if using canned it’s fine to dress them after rinsing. Allow dressed chickpeas to marinate 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, grill lettuce and tomatoes (if preferred). For an eye-catching presentation finish by laying remaining ingredients out in sequence of color on a fun plate or wide-bottomed bowl! Serve chilled with an extra, light drizzle of dressing.
Original recipe, S.Lippard copyright 2015