Join the tradition by cooking this simple, delicious recipe of black eyed peas and collard greens. Both are symbolic of money and are thought to bring fortune in the New Year.
Black Eyed Peas and Collard Greens
- 1 bunch collard greens, thinly chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cans black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon oil of choice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil until lightly browned. Add collard greens and lemon juice, sauté until wilted. Add black eyed peas, sea salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Saute until warmed.
Recipe adapted from Begin Within Nutrition .
BONUS: 5 NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS FOR A HEALTHY 2016
- Eat more than 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day
- Eat greens with every meal
- Simplify your diet, master the basics
- Drink more water, challenge yourself with a gallon per day
- Practice meditation, try this free app
Have a healthy and prosperous New Year!